Thursday, May 17, 2007

Houseful


On my way to work this morning I saw this huge board annoucing yet another mall on a yet another busy junction. I was stuck in a jam when I saw the board and started thinking of the days when I had just moved to Hyderabad.
Three years ago, when my husband moved to Hyderabad I wasn't too keen on joining him, until I visited the city myself. I clearly remember the day I first visited the city and was taken in by its wide tree lined roads, gulmohar trees in full bloom, the smooth traffic flow.. it was too picture perfect. I went back to Mumbai and submitted my transfer application, a decision I had thought I wouldn't be taking in a hurry.
From over an hour-long commute to a nine-minute auto ride to reach work was heavenly to say the least. There were loads of eating places to choose from and many were just a five-minute walk away. Theatres didn't need advance booking. Life was comfortable.
Now, the nine-minute commute is an hour long ordeal in the evenings and 40-minute polluted rides in the mornings. The restaurants that were once a few kilometres away are now distant by several hours. The bright gulmohar flower laden trees that stood out as bright spots even on a gloomy day have been chopped for road widening. The traffic that was once smooth is now chaotic.
Many flyovers have come up and some are under construction, but the congestion has only worsened. And just when I thought that things can't get any worse, a traffic police official said that more flyovers were being planned. He warned that if immediate steps were not taken the city would come to a standstill. Well, the immediate steps taken until recently have only left the city dug. Wonder what these new steps would result in.
(pic courtesy: www.hindu.com)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

three years? so fast so much this city lost!

nice to read new post, after long time

streets wiped out, gul mohar trees uprooted and view of blue sky is blocked by hoardings and flyovers. hyderabadi watches the change like the harassed railway passenger who lost his ticket that has stragenly become now an - important governemnt document

aaj shahar kiski hai?

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Mortgage Rates