Saturday, August 26, 2006

grim reality

I was on my routine trips to news websites to check the latest in the country and was also keenly following the arrival of the 12 detainees to Mumbai. On a news channel's site that allows people to leave comments, I was reading the story of their homecoming, their reactions to the ordeal when the comments section caught my eye. Readers/viewers had left comments like "they should know how to behave" and "they have no choice but to forgive Dutch authorities as their behaviour was suspicious" and about ten more comments in a similar vein.
I was first surprised and then saddened by the kind of reactions the incident had evoked. I had thought or had perhaps taken for granted that the entire nation would be up in arms against the Dutch authorities for targetting Indians. Sadly, that was not the case.
I am no Congresswala, but this was one incident, I thought, that clearly showed the fear Muslim minorities have to deal with now every single day of their lives for the fault of some members of their community. It was depressing to see their own countrymen find faults with their behaviour and not with the Dutch authorities. Did they not once think that they would have not behaved in the same way with a bunch of clean shaven goras exchanging seats and fidgeting with their mobile phones? And when the incident should best be viewed as a slap on Asians, some of our very own countrymen view it as a "minority not behaving themselves" issue.
I, for once, stand corrected. All along I have debated with my friends that the minorities in India are not as victimised as some political party would want us to believe. That all Indians feel for each other, irrespective of caste, creed and religion. After reading the comments on that news site, I have to sadly admit that is perhaps no longer entirely true. Religion not reason colours judgment today.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!

I chanced upon your blog yesterday. Couldn't help reading most of the stuff out there. I must say Great Work.

Ok you know me and dont want to snoop around reading your blog. So can I read your blog?
http://priaakumsu.livejournal.com/

11:46 PM  
Blogger daydreamer said...

anon: u sure can. and i think i know who you are :)

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm you do. thanks 'da' (bangalore lingo).

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Mortgage Rates