Monday, April 17, 2006

Celebrating the moment

Its been raining here since last night and I have been fishing out my favourite music from the nanosecond the first raindrop hit the ground. So it was old Lata numbers including the very melodious `uthaye jaaye unke sitam’, `thandi hawayein lehra ke aaye’, `aayega aanewala’ and `thandi hawa kali ghata’ among at least a hundred others that have been playing on the system setting the perfect mood for a perfect weather.
I love celebrating these small moments in life with music. While listening to these Lata songs, I started thinking of the lines I remember from my other favourite songs that are about living in the moment.
The song `Aanewala pal’ from the very funny `Golmaal’ film, has a line that goes, `Ek baar waqt se, lamha gira kahin’. I listen to this song several times only to hear this particular line over and over again. In a very funny filmi way, I mentally give a background score for situations in my life. So, this particular line is the perfect score when I am in love with a particular moment.
Another song, a ghazal that has been my all time favourite, coaxes people to live in the present__Farida Khanum’s `Aaj jaane ki zid na karo’ has this gem of a line: “waqt ke qaid mein zindagi hai magar, chand ghadiyan yahin hai jo azaad hai.. in ko kho kar kahin jaanejaan umra bhar na taraste raho”. I truly believe that there has not been a more beautiful expression to explain the reason why we need to live in the moment.
But then, some songs even question such moments that people treasure. Shyam Benegal’s `Sooraj Ka Saatwan Ghoda’ has this song: `Yeh shaamein, sab ki sab shaamein..kya in shaamon ka arth nahin. Ghabra ke tumhe jab yaad kiya, kya un shaamon ka arth nahin’ filmed beautifully on a depressed Pallavi Joshi and Rajit Kapoor who are singing the song to each other on the former’s wedding day as she is getting married to someone else. The imagery, which I vividly remember, is simply beautiful. Joshi clinging to Kapoor for dear life, rainfall in the background, light blue-coloured curtains swaying softly in the gentle breeze.
And even as I am writing this, I am listening to another melody, MM Kreem’s ‘chup tum raho, chup hum tahe..khamoshi ko khamoshi se baat karne do’ from Is Raat Ki Subah Nahin. I agree with these lines __ the most beautiful moments are best celebrated in silence.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wah wah. i love it when you sing these little couplets. thanks for putting them down...

5:46 AM  
Blogger daydreamer said...

monica: thanks. do add to the list of songs if you think of any more celebrating the moment.

5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there,
I stumbed upon your blog while searching for the soundtrack from Suraj ka Satvan ghoda...It is amazing to find someone else who has derived inspiration from the song "yeh shaamein sab ki Sab shaamein". Would you know by any chance who has sung this song and where one may be able to find a copy..I have been looking for it for years and have been unable to locate this song... any help will be useful and thank you very much for such thoughtful musings.. you rock! I may be reached at hellosid@gmail.com

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Mortgage Rates