Monday, October 02, 2006

Waking up

Disclaimer: the observations here are my personal opinions on a city and should be treated as that. I do not wish to hurt the sentiments of any community or residents of the city in any manner.

Weeks before I left for Calcutta, my Bengali colleagues in office started preparing me for the `pujo’ (yes, I learnt the `a’ of puja is replaced by an `o’ like all things bong, perhaps). They told me about the decked up city and its people, the pandals, the frenzy.
Calcutta, I was told at least 29 times on last count, was splendid during the pujo. Now, I must admit that my last two visits to Calcutta had left me rather disappointed with the city. I found the city of joy’s pace sluggish and I could sense sitting in the yellow-painted cabs a strange dullness and sadness around me. I would inadvertently draw comparisons between Calcutta and Bombay and wonder how the latter was so strikingly vibrant and zestful. The comparison only worsened my dislike for Calcutta. And carrying such an impression about the city, it was difficult for me to think of any festivity shaking Calcutta out of its slumber.
Predictably, I wasn’t in the least excited about my impending trip but decided to view the city and its big festival objectively. Now that I am back, my friends have been asking whether I liked the pujos? Much to their joy, my answer is in the affirmative.
I am not really a festival person and have tried to refrain from community festivities all my life. For this reason I sparingly took part in the Ganpati festival in Bombay when I was there and perhaps never really observed the festival closely.
I did that with Durga Puja in Calcutta and found that it was simply beautiful. I would have not realized the beauty, had I not been dragged out of the house and shown around the pandals in South Calcutta. And it was not just the idols of Goddess Durga and the carefully designed and decorated pandals (some so gorgeous that Bhansali’s Devdas sets would appear sober in comparison), but the activity on the streets was the most striking. The city appeared to be holding an all-night mela with people in their finest clothing (as someone rightly said that people dress up for the pujo as is there is no tomorrow) hopping from one pandal to another, with well-lit buildings providing the perfect festival backdrop.
My better half, who is from Calcutta but was attending the pujo after a long gap, told me about one pujo when he walked 15 kms to cover as many pandals as possible. This time, we moved around in a cab we had booked for the night and saw people walking, sitting on cycle-rickshaws, cars, bikes.. whatever.. but moving around through the night, mingling, talking and yes, like in dandiya nights in Bombay, eyeing strangers and falling in love with them.
When I reached home after my first pandal hopping, I for the first time felt the gloom lift from the city. Calcutta, does wake up from its slumber, to celebrate.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the festivity.

Hey... I know what you mean about Mumbai. I have been comparing other cities with Mumbai all my life.

In the past, I have had strong dislike for Chennai. But over the years I have been slowly falling in love with the city.

11:43 PM  
Blogger daydreamer said...

hey priaa.. thanks for the comment.
i think comparison with mumbai is inevitable for people like us who lived there for so long. even after two years in hyd.. i cant help missing mumbai's vibrancy.

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup totally agree. Much to my sis-in-law's dismay bro and myself can talk non-stop about Mumbai. I feel nostaligic so easily..

I will be completing 5 yrs in Bangalore this October... but the images of city in Munna Bhai.. just wanted me to get on the next plane back to Mumbai.

4:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grin. I like the disclaimer

6:30 AM  
Blogger daydreamer said...

priaa: yeah..i do the same all the time... people at work now hate me for the incessant bombay bragging, as they call it.

monica: had to play safe.. for reasons we are too familiar with by now :)

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Mortgage Rates