Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Sound of Music

During the hectic shopping for my wedding on a sunny humid afternoon, I was losing my cool, as always, wondering whether I would be able to reach office on time. After the last sari was purchased, I was rushing to Bandra station, perspiring profusely, frowning, checking the time, hoping that I don’t miss the 12.14 pm local to VT. While sprinting through the congested pavement outside the station, I heard the lilting notes of the Kishore Kumar song, `Aa chal
ke tujhe, main le ke chaloon ek aise gagan ke tale'
.
I was no longer in a rush to catch the train or even reach office. I was at peace, suddenly and strangely. I stopped for a bit to catch a few more lines of the song. I walked up the staircase at the station humming the song. I even got the train.
This might sound repetitive to those who have read my previous posts, but then, I am obsessed with music, correction, good music.
Nothing brings me more peace than listening to songs, particularly the ones my mom used to sing to us__ 'tum na jaane kis jahan mein kho gaye', 'oh aasma waale shikva hai zindagi ka', 'o sajna, barkha bahar aayi'__among many others.
It is strange how songs almost effortlessly change my mood and bring so much peace of mind. Yes, I know of music therapy and other such alternative therapies, but the soothing effect music can have on in day-to-day life surprises me no end.
Like this morning, having been maid-less for a good two weeks, the housework was getting on my nerves. Interviews of prospective maids who claimed to be too eager to work but said no to most of my requirements were adding to the disgust and the disappointment of being without a good domestic help. As I turned to the kitchen on a yet another gloomy morning, I turned on the radio, Vividh Bharati, and to my sheer delight this perhaps long forgotten radio station was playing Talat Maehmood’s “Mohabbat hi no jo samjhe, who zaalim pyar kya jaane”.
The song worked like a magic wand. The morning started looking beautiful. The pile of unwashed utensils was no longer an eye sore. The cooking was suddenly fun. I even made morning tea almost after a week and enjoyed my cup reading the morning paper with Shiv Kumar Sharma’s santoor recital in `Sangeet Sarita’ programme that was playing then on the channel.
I dressed well to work and am still humming Talat’s melodies that am sure will keep me happy for the rest of the day.
Here’s to the sound of music!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) reading this post changed my mood

7:03 AM  
Blogger Suman. said...

looooved this piece...have almost written the same thing about A particular song....though hundred others qualify as you rightly said as music therapy. Also liked what you wrote about Radio.

2:11 AM  
Blogger D said...

And this reminds me of 'Up Where We Belong' and a certain person praising your 'bravery'... :-).

4:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Mortgage Rates