Friday, June 09, 2006

Chinese Torture

That’s precisely what I have been subjected to over the last ten days. But, it wasn’t torture initially. I enjoyed it the first day for exactly 12 minutes… but it started hurting me slowly, the pain is now excruciating and I can’t take it anymore.
I was suspicious from the day four office boys came to my floor and started playing with a few wires. I knew they were up to something fishy and now I know that my fears were not unfounded. I dreaded it more when they put a white metallic net kind of a thing on the ceiling, it looked like a speaker to me and I wondered what it was for.
Now I know for am subjected to its incessant blaring all day. For an inexplicable reason I have radio at my workplace and believe me I can do WITHOUT this music. Can you write a single sentence with Mr Reshmaiya’s mind numbing `jhalak dikhlaja’ playing in the background? Or, for that matter, can you make a single conversation with any of the current crop of songs playing on your head, literally.
Thankfully, after repeated complaints and requests of shutting the radio down completely, the volume has been lowered and is not really disturbing to others. But, I am ultra-sensitive to bad music. Had it been old classics, I would have not reacted like this for sure, but then, the world seems to be rocking to the beats of `aap ki kashish’ (why, God, why) so who really cares to play the simply awesome `ban ke panchi gaaye pyar ka tarana’. Huh.
The main problem with most radio channels, I think, is that they don’t play music in tune with time and weather, which I strongly believe can be their USP. I really think that most of the channels play the same set of songs, have almost the same programmes, but rarely make an impromptu choice of a song to play in line with the weather or the time of the day (radio expert friend cum blogger, I know you disagree).
A few days ago when I was in Bombay, it was raining and all the channels were dishing out the same set of numbers__ from aashiq banaya aapne to aap ka surorr. But, among all the channels one stood out, Vividh Bharati, that was playing the choicest of monsoon melodies.
And, even as I am writing this it’s playing, `chalo ishq ladaye’. Do I care?

3 Comments:

Blogger Suman. said...

Hi...
I am your radio friend ;) right? And i certainly agree, and disagree with you at the same time...
Radio stations do select the mood of the hour, as long as the Programming head is given the freedom to do so. Whereas this happens in most radio stations, it doesnt in some.
The whole idea of radio is to catch the local mood and flavour...and if you are seeking that of any radio station...you aren't unjustified. Nice thots, as usual...Caught up with your blog :)

10:25 AM  
Blogger daydreamer said...

beingsuman: hey, finally you could post a comment. yeah, true..wish all radio stations could play songs in tune with the local mood.

4:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your blog is rocking as usual. and i love the music posts

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Mortgage Rates