Thursday, October 05, 2006

The high point of Calcutta trip...



Was the visit to Belur Math. The evening I spent at the math was both splendid and serene. Although we reached after sunset and were not allowed to go near the river, my day was made as the campus at that time of the evening was reverberating with the lilting notes of a prayer being sung in the math’s main hall.
The sound of music reached even the farthest end of the sprawling math. I wanted to see the river flowing and imagined sitting by the river and listening to the most soulful bhajan (I assume it was a bhajan) I had heard in a long time.
Nevertheless, the walk around the math was peaceful and seemed to clear my head of all thoughts good and bad. There was a beautiful numbness I felt and wished I could stay in the math’s campus for a lifetime__ breathe fresh air, sit by the river and read my book, listen to prayers in the evening and walk around the campus absorbing its beauty. Sigh.
(pic: www.mapability.com)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Mortgage Rates